Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chocolate Buns

Another recipe from my Hotel Chocolat book, there is a whole section specifically for chocolate breakfast foods so being prepared for once I made chocolate bread rolls. You need to make the dough the night before hence why being prepared is important, so Friday night as I had no plans I diligently made the dough and left it in the fridge over night. I was surprised at how hard the dough felt and was wondering if I would be having tough bread for breakfast.

The recipe states its a pre world war II recipe and looks a little like pan au chocolat but with bread instead of flakey pastry. I grated my chocolate rather than cut it and used a combination of 70% dark and Belgium white chocolate as I had no milk or low 50% dark chocolate. They turned out petty tasty and warmed up the next day still tasted fab. I think I'll be making these again soon!!

The Recipe - Sue Lawrence's Chocolate Bread Rolls
625g strong plain flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
30g butter, cut into cubes
30g caster sugar
340ml skimmed milk, warmed, plus extra to glaze
110-140g dark chocolate (50-60% cocoa) or good quality mil chocolate

The Method
  1. Combine the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Rub in the butter, then stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
  2. Add enough warm milk to mix into a fairly firm dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate over night to prove.
  3. The next morning, knock back the dough with your fists, then divide into 10 pieces. Roll each piece into a 10x15cm rectangle.
  4. place the chopped chocolate in the centre of the rectangle  and roll up like a Swiss roll.
  5. Place on a greased baking tray, cover loosely and leave to rise in a warm place for 30-40minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 240 degrees and bake fro 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cook on a wire rack for 5 minutes and then eat whilst warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment