Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Not my 'Favourite Chocolate Cake'

I was looking for a chocolate cake for my Bank Holiday BBQ, something rich and dense and finally picked Patrick Anthony's 'Favourite Chocolate Cake' from Hotel Chocolat 101 Best-Loved Chocolate Recipes.


Its definitely not my favourite chocolate cake, but this could have been the oven I was using cooking a little high. My cake looked like a mountain range and was a bit dry, his recipe states to serve with a raspberry ice cream which would have finished this off but I didn't have the time to make it.


The Recipe - Patrick Anthony's Favourite Chocolate Cake (from Hotel Chocolat 101 Best-Loved Chocolate Recipes)
A little oil to grease the pan
225g dark chocolate, (70% +), in pieces
110g butter
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs
3 tbsp whisky, rum or orange liqueur
2 heaped tsp plain flour
50g walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional - I didn't use these)
cocoa powder and icing sugar to dust


Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C. Lightly oil a 23cm springform cake tin, at least 8cm deep.


Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heavy-based saucepan over a gentle heat, giving an occasional stir. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Next, add the eggs and beat into the mixture. Add your choice of booze, plus the flour and stir until well blended. Add the nits if using and stir to distribute.


Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake at the centre of the oven for 30 minutes. The cake will rise and sink back down and it might crack. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then release the tin and place on a wire rack to cool. 


My cake looked like a hilly landscape and did not sink back down, it looked a little better when I had sprinkled cocoa and icing sugar all over it but was not the rich fudgy cake I was hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment