Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chocolate Ricotta Tart

Well I'm now in England and I was hoping to be making a chocolate recipe every day, I have somehow failed at this with the million things I have been trying to fit in!! My cook books all calling me I sat down to try and decide on something to bake. I agonised for ages not having this or that ingredient and then decided upon a Chocolate Ricotta Tart from my Hotel Chocolat 101 Best Loved Chocolate Recipes.


The Recipe - Ed Baines' Chocolate Ricotta Tart


Pasta Frolla
225g plain flour plus extra to dust
pinch salt
100g unsalted butter, diced
30g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp cold water


Filling
350g ricotta cheese
85g caster sugar
3 eggs
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
grated zest and juice of 1/2 an orange
60g blanched almonds, finely chopped
60g finely chopped mixed peel (i missed this out as I didn't have any)
4 drops vanilla extract
100g dark chocolate grated


The method
To make the pastry, put the flour salt and butter in a large bowl and rub through with your fingers until the mixture is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar, then the egg, together with the cold water to make a smooth dough. Knead lightly and gently to ensure a light and crumbly pastry. Form the pastry into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.


Meanwhile make the filling. Put the ricotta in a sieve to drain off any excess water, then tip into a clean bowl. Gradually beat in the sugar and the eggs, using a wooden spoon. Stir in the citrus zest and juices. Now mix in the almonds and chopped peel and finally the grated chocolate. Cover and chill.


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Roll out the pastry on a well floured surface and use to line a 25cm tart tin. Cut away the excess pastry, overhanging the rim.
Pour the ricotta filling into the pastry case and smooth evenly. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown on top.


Decorate the tart with chocolate ganache or dust with icing sugar.


This recipe was fairly easy to follow, but the end result just did not resemble the picture in the book. The taste was good, I don't think I got my almonds fine enough, but added to the texture. I did not serve with a ganache, I think this would have improved it as for me it was just not chocolatey enough. More give me more chocolate!! If I were to make this recipe again I might try melting the chocolate instead of grating it, I think this would improve this dessert, plus my pastry recipe I use from Gorgon Ramsay is far nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment