Friday, July 30, 2010

Crema Cafe, Hay Street, West Perth

Today as a bonus for hitting are targets for the first time since they were set my bosses from my day job took out the client services team out for a celebratory dinner at Crema Cafe on Hay Street. I had never heard of or been to the restaurant and was very happy to be going to a contemporary restaurant where I wouldn't have to fit the bill.

Crema Cafe had a sweet little eating area outside but as it was fairly chilly so I was happy to be eating inside. Our table of 10 was a bit tightly squished in, but it had comfy leather covered seats or soft covered benches. A couple of the Crema plates were ordered to nibble on, which included a selection of olives, feta, chorizo, Tadzhik, smoked salmon, Turkish bread and normal bread. The chorizo had a fresh and tangy flavour and was some of the nicest I've had since being in Perth and the smoked salmon was a dark pink colour, fresh and succulent. The Turkish bread was lightly toasted crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The olives were plump and soft and juicy.

I ordered the lamb rump, marinated, medium rare roasted with white bean mash, wilted spinach and red wine jus. It was a very good portion with heaps of gloriously pink rare lamb marinated with a juicy rosemary flavour. It was tender and melted in the mouth, the jus was sweet and brought the dish beautifully together. The white bean mash had an interesting earthy flavour, was light and seasoned well and the delicious spinach and brocollini were cooked perfectly. I cleared my plate and was left with a satisfying full feeling, not to full to turn down dessert though.

Before I go to any planned restaurant I usually check out the dessert menu first. This would have been no exception although there was no menu online, there was a fresh looking custard/creme brulee slice with ice cream and chocolate shortbread so I was disappointed to realise there was no dessert menu, just a cake counter.

They had a normal selection of mud cake, tarts, slices, I opted for a berry meringue tart. It wasn't the best pudding I had had but certainly wasn't the worst. The pastry was crisp and buttery and the berry filling was lightly sweetened with a soft meringue topping. True to my form it could have been improved with a little heat and some ice-cream.

The staff at Crema were very attentive and welcoming, and the flavours and dishes were beautiful. I want to go back and try some of their pasta, it looked divine and there were plenty of other recipes which were enticing. The special of Baramunddi with a panzella salad almost made me jealous, if I weren't having my favourite meat I could have easily had food envy.

Check them out http://www.cremacafe.com.au I would happily go again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment